Trop

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Where Is Your Mother?

Grammie has arrived for a visit during her Spring Break.  We are all being well fed, the laundry is done, the dishes are done (and put away...we get to play Scavenger Hunt for things like the cheese grater).  Household chores are done so timely, the clothes are washed and put away on the same day that they were once on your back.  This is not how my house normally works.  I could get used to this.  Kind of like having a cleaning fairy around the house.


Upon arrival, Grammie asked why we never go to the City when she comes.  So we went to the City and enjoyed a day at the aquarium.  LOVE the aquarium.  As we were walking in, two Italian gentlemen informed us that "they have run out of fish".  With their accents, that was one of the funniest things I have heard.  They were trying to be funny, but put a little Tony Soprano spin on that line, and it becomes ten times as funny as intended.  Needless to say, there were plenty of fish to be seen.


Half way into the day, my daughter raises her hands in astonishment, and says to me, "Where is YOUR MOTHER?"  She did not ask, "Where is Grammie?"  Apparently, when Grammie is in trouble for losing the group, she becomes MY MOTHER.  My daughter continued, "Why does she do that?"  I answered simply, "Because she can."


Grammie went to eat lunch with our Little Boo at school.  On Sunday night, Grammie asked which of the kids would like to invite her to eat lunch with them.  Dead D-E-A-D silence.  Then finally, the Pipper responded, "He would."  So Grammie went to each lunch with her grandson.  And he got to pick a friend to sit with them.


Grammie did not go eat lunch with Pipper.  Pipper finally got up the courage to explain to Grammie that having an adult come eat lunch with you in 3rd Grade is super, super embarrassing.  "Painful."  And again, I was asked, "Why does YOUR MOTHER want to come eat lunch with me?"  That phrase, YOUR MOTHER, makes me smile.  Not something I expected out of my eight year-old daughter.  But when raising kids, expect the unexpected.

2 comments:

  1. That's too cute! "hi" to Zena for me! Enjoy your visit. I loved the fish story too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please send YOUR MOTHER to MY HOUSE on her return trip. The dishes need unloaded from the dishwasher, all the bedding on the beds needs changed, and she can vacuum the dust mites from beneath the furniture. Clearly, she'll feel right at home. Thanks, Miss Zena!

    ReplyDelete